Emergency Firefighting Water System
District Police Stations
Motorcycle Police and Crime Lab
Medical Examiner Facility
"At this critical point in history where technology seems to advance by the minute our facilities have declined almost to the point of failure. We have a window of opportunity to make our facilities what they should be to best ensure our officers are able to meet to the needs and expectations of the 21st century city we are sworn to serve and protect every day, including when earthquakes or other calamities strike.”
Why do we need to strengthen, improve and rehabilitate district police stations?
Some police stations are nearly a century old and many upgrades are more than 25 years old. There is an urgency to make improvements to police facilities to bolster their resiliency in the event of an earthquake. Most don't meet current seismic codes for essential public safety facilities.
The stations and support facilities have a broad range of functional, security, technical and seismic inadequacies. Since their inception, many have operated continuously and are in need of modernization. Putting off these improvements can hinder police capabilities in responding to emergencies.
ESER 2014 identified 12 and two studies projects at 12 police stations and facilities; seven of them have been completed, three will be finished by the end of 2019 and the remaining two are ready to go to bid.
Completed police station and infrastructure projects funded by ESER 2014 bond include the following:
- Accessibility barrier removal, Phase 1: Bayview, Tenderloin, Northern, Mission and Central stations
- Accessibility barrier removal, Phase 2: Taraval, Park, Ingleside and Richmond stations, and the Police Academy
- Construction of a new firearm simulation training facility at Lake Merced Range
- Central Station Expansion Feasibility study
- ID Bureau and Property Control study
- Park Station exterior wall improvements
- Pistol Range roof repairs
The following projects are still in progress:
- Mechanical, electrical and plumbing system upgrades, Phase 1: Richmond and Taraval stations
- Mechanical, electrical and plumbing system upgrades, Phase 2: Tenderloin and Bayview stations
- Renovation of Northern Station
- Renovation of Park Station